Monday, May 4, 2009

Absorption of Niger

Much like my emotions, this collection of thoughts and experiences resembles patchwork; different fabric scraps arrayed with many colors, coming together to form a completed, functional yet beautiful quilt. Quilting is on my mind since my dear friend Hope is in the process of making one. A mosaic would also suffice in comparison to the inconsistent shape of my daily activities and the following jagged and smooth stones I will share.

I’ve been working at a NGO called KAMNA, which means LOVE in the Houssa language. Besides being the nutritionist and attending meetings with the government officials for the approval to partner with UNICEF and WFP(world food program), being forced to speak French, learning more about Niger, I’ve also made friends of all types.

(lady on left is coworker at KAMNA...this is at a kids program)
I’ve talked with other women in the “break room” over water, coffee and bread about things similar to typical water cooler conversations. We discussed mindsets of men, news in eachothers’ lives, the faithfulness of God, our needs, and us as women! I’ve even had my hair done(washed, combed, rolled, oiled and was even put under one of those old woman dryers) in the salon training center onsite. I’ve talked with some of the guys who differ in future hopes; one wanting to reside in his home country and the other praying to reach the promised land of America, where everything is perfect. We’re really not that different huh? But why do I feel like I have one foot in the United States and one foot in Africa? I’m straddling two different worlds, even now. Tainted with love for a culture not of my own, I’m hesitant to remove my foot from the abundance of Nigerien sand. I think my dreaded attempts would be futile anyways.

“Jesus loves me, this I know for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak but He is strong.” Do these little ones include puppets?

There are 3 trunks of puppets sitting on our front porch with new clothes, hair transplants, and the anticipation to be used for childrens’ ministry. Most of them worn from their many years of service makes me want to throw them in the garbage (and some of them are there now), but after some attention and care, they’re ready to shine! Why am I talking about puppets? Well because sometimes I feel like one; Controlled or influenced by others, weak and needing strong Jesus to make me anew. When these puppets are directed by a master puppeteer singing in sync with the music, and the childrens’ open-mouthed laughs respond, the puppets’ are perfect in purpose.

On a less spiritual level, these creatures have been inhabiting my bed and floor for the past few weeks as I’ve worked on them in between other time commitments. Sammy has become accustomed to playing with one for a few minutes. He loves the puppets! Tonight as we were driving in the car to our house, he randomly said, “KK, puppets sleep?” I said “Yep, but when we get home we can say goodnight to them.” And so that’s what we did.

I’m not going to portray myself as some tough girl who never complains. The reality of this land right now is hotness! There is a sort of peace in knowing that you’re not the only one with sweat pouring down your body as you talk to your friend in a non-fanned living room due to power outages, or immediately when you turn the shower off.
When will the rain come and cool down this smokin’ land? Well, it has briefly rained twice and both times we ran out and stood in the cooling waters. Refreshing. Joy. Innocence. However, the sun with its heat producing affection reminds us of what season we’re in.

Some times I succeed at ignoring the heat, perhaps because as the sweat pours out, I’m more focused on soaking as much of Niger up as I can. Niger is the salt that I crave. However, I’m privileged to sleep in an air conditioned room (when the power is on) and have clean water to drink, making it less difficult to endure. I wish I could say the same about the people beyond these walls I call my home, or those I see sleeping on the dirt road, or just one child out of many whose lack of clean water could prevent him from living to see the cooler season. There is this daily reminder that I can choose to ignore. But unlike ignoring the heat, I desire to actively remember it. This heart wrenching heaviness shares residency in my heart with joy from 2 kiddies who can’t resist playing with the hose as Etien tries to water the plants.

Until the raindrops come again...

We shall make our own...

1 comment:

Katie Lentile said...

Thanks for following my blog about trips. It is great to see what you are doing!!