Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Simply Life

Another 10 days have passed (are you recognizing a pattern?), and again I struggle with conveying all that is in my heart, all that I'm seeing and all that I'm learning. I'm learning that I know little.

Adolescent Camp: Ages 13-17. Although similar to kids camp in activities of singing, dancing, teachings and doing crafts, this camp differed in its level of maintenance. This was mostly due to their ages. The teachings were much deeper. Actually, the teachings were very encouraging to us “adults” as well.

Many of the pastors of churches came to assist and join the children in this week- long camp. They, along with many women served as camp counselors. Whether the men preached or led games, one thing was clear; they love the children and they love God. It's amazing how God reveals His heart through children. One morning I was worshiping with 100 African children and a few adults, and for those moments I desired to be no other place in the world.

I've forgotten some things but those of you who know me well shouldn't be surprised. During worship one day, I didn't recognize a song in English. I was singing along but assumed it was French until Beki informed me it was my native language. I forget that I'm white a lot. We saw a white man walking down the street, and we said, “whoa look at that white person,” like we aren't white:) I forget that people watch what I do, and laugh at me when I imitate the children's request to answer a question or receive a gift; they say “Moi, moi!” while snapping their fingers.

For a few days, we ate lunch at camp with the Nigeriens. I really enjoyed eating what the people here typically eat. There's something special about eating with people. The rice and beans, or rice and sauce (oil and onions) were more delicious than they sound, especially with the hot spices! The pastors were so generous to us. They made sure we had clean dishes, clean water and plenty to eat. We also played sand volleyball (obviously) with the children and counselors. Playing volleyball in a skirt was a first for me, but it can be done!

Adolescent camp ended with children testifying what God had done in their lives that week at camp, which included physical healing, cessation of nightmares and knowing Jesus. I felt so privileged to see God working in these children's lives. After camp, we spent a lot of time reorganizing the materials and packing them away for next year.

The other day I helped Halima prepare lunch. She made tortillas from scratch, along with homemade cookies. I had a blast helping her, speaking french words to her (not even sentences), sweating and learning from her great cooking skills.

Life's pace here is much slower than the one I'm familiar with but we have been busy. A construction team from Texas arrived last night. They will leave in the morning to build a tabernacle in a village 6 hours away. During the ten days they'll be gone, us ladies will stick together!

New Home: I moved out of one missionary house to another and Beki went back to the U.S:( Getting to know the missionary's girls has been great. They remind me of my sister Rachel and myself years ago. I can't wait until they find out that their sister will be their best friend. The other day I moved to Hope and Dave's house! I unpacked yesterday and am almost all settled in, minus a couple of items to hang on the crazy walls here ( I need help from Dave). I have a huge closet, a big bed, and blue walls (bearable walls, unlike at my old job:) Hope is helping me with my French skills and is also my coffee buddy. I had coffee today for the first time in about a month. My tolerance isn't as high anymore though, but it tasted so good and was worth the feeling that I was going to jump out of my skin. The person who donated this coffee maker should know how much its appreciated. Having a cup of coffee with a friend brings me comfort and joy. Not only does coffee do such things, but living with two precious little boys, Sam and Nathaniel and their parents has been such a blessing. I feel my heart expanding already, even after 2 days.

No comments: