Sunday, August 3, 2008

Time to Transition

I officially live in Niger!
A week has passed since we said goodbye to the kids at camp and almost a week has passed since the team left. Camp was full of singing and dancing (worshiping), teachings about Jesus, praying, games, crafts, and sports. The team helped with the activities and had fun doing so. When we prayed with and for the children, I thought, “this is why I'm here, to lay my hand on a child and speak God's heart.” Last Sunday the team members were excited to go to a special church service at the orphanage. We spent the day there playing with the children, eating lunch and then my favorite: Riding camels with the orphans! Hearing the children giggle and seeing them smile while hanging onto the saddle tightly made camel riding extraordinary. Solo camel rides just don't compare.

After adventures of travel delays, the July Kids Camp team members finally arrived back home. I became Beki's roommate at the Teague's house. We spent some time organizing material for the week long Adolescent Camp that begins tomorrow night. We've also had time to rest up before this next camp. Dinner time is when missionaries Brent and Shelley tell great stories. These times are informative, entertaining and soothing to the heart. I'm beginning to experience some differences in 'short mission team' life and 'missionary' life. I'm trying to learn the Nigerien culture as well. I hear this takes a while. God has blessed me with one of my buddies, Beki who has helped tremendously during this transition. We've explored and experienced Niger in new ways these last few days. For example, we walked to church this morning! Yeah, I'm getting my feet dirty. The thing is, it felt great to walk comfortably in the place I call home. Instead of gazing at life in Niamey through a windshield or truck window, we were part of it. Even though it takes time to adjust, especially emotionally, its amazing how quickly I've adapted to my physical environment. Sand is a way of life here:)

Yesterday, we saw a rainbow! They don't appear often here in Niger, so seeing this was absolutely refreshing. God is faithful in His promises, including sustaining and refreshing His children. He is the Good Shepherd.

He's even provided abundant food for me. Since I've been in Niger, delicious mango has been delightfully ingested by me everyday except one. Halima, who cooks for the missionary family, made us a yogurt and millet mixture called “degue.” Think bubble tea, or tapioca pudding, but even better! I could eat degue and mangos all day, every day.

I'm excited for Adolescent Camp this coming week. After camp, Beki leaves to go back to school in the U.S and I'll be moving into another missionary's house.
I need Jesus' strength every single day, especially in learning French!
Please keep praying.

Happy Birthday Mom & Happy Anniversary Hope & Dave!

4 comments:

NIGER1.COM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Krystal,

You are the best!! I luv ya girl and am am very proud of you!!

Mike

Robinson Theater said...

You're still talking about that bubble tea? Maybe I'll try that when I get there....SOON. Love you tons and miss you bunches.

Healing said...

I knew you'd have to bring up bubble tea...and mango...yummy!!!!!