Monday, September 22, 2008

Wanna Take a Walk?

I know, I know. I’ve slacked with the blog. It’s hard to believe a whole month has passed since the last post. As the days have turned to weeks, the moments with descriptive possibility now seem like a lump of generalizations. Combing through my thoughts and emotions is exhausting, but I desire for you to walk the African road with me, even if only a few steps are taken. I am thankful for those of you who are by my side, tasting the sweet bitterness that comes with life, here and there. Grab your shoes, flip flops, or none if bare feet are preferred (like myself), and lets explore the beauty of God through His children. Don’t let the mud puddles distract you from the people walking with or around us.

Walking down...

Reunion Road: There have been many reunions on Niger soil in the last month, causing me to think I’m in a dream. Two weeks ago, the missionaries I’ve worked with on my previous three short term missions moved back! Last summer I remained in Niger for a few days after they left to go home. Saying goodbye at the airport and then welcoming them back a year later, now living here was an incredible feeling. The realization of how much you really miss people occurs when you see them again. In Rodrigo and Juanita’s arrival, I was reminded again of God’s faithfulness to provide everything needed to move here. This precious couple has been such a big piece of that puzzle called my heart.

Two days later, another reunion took place at the airport. The LINK vision casting team blessed us with their presence for a week. The team members consisted of people from Georgia, Virginia and California. The ones I knew well filled me with more love through hugs (Azie gave me the best hug upon arrival), smiles and encouragement as soon as they became visible through the airport window. And the people I didn’t know became my friends. What a feeling to welcome people to my
home - first timers and others who have been here years before I even thought about Niger. Although their hearts are always here, physically being in Niger with me meant more than I could express to them.
My feet found the mud puddles, amidst the joy of having friends visiting from America. I was sick for most of their trip. However, since Mike and Debbie’s time here was prolonged, I was able to laugh a lot, eat Nigerien street meat, have another café au lait drinking buddy, discuss soap and skin preservation, communicate and love them without the weight of sickness.

We have a few days to recuperate from all that greatness before the medical mission team arrives on Thursday. Again, I know some team members very well and am anticipating an amazing display of God’s heart toward the Nigeriens through these doctors and nurses. Not only am I looking forward to having the medical team here, but also can't wait to help in the village clinics. We’re also going to distribute a peanut butter based nutritional supplement for developing countries, known as "plumpynut." I'm excited about one of my mothers coming to Niger as well as our new addition to the missionary team - my friend Daniel is moving here in a few days!

…Similarity Street
: Children of Niger are similar to children in the United States. Looking beyond the cultural and social differences, children really don’t differ in their preferences, especially in hobbies and toys. Debbie and I went to the orphanage a few days ago and played with the children for a couple of hours. During our time there, amusing questions were asked by a little girl. At one point she even pointed at moles on my arm and asked why I had them and her black skin did not. At a previous visit to the orphanage, Hope and I asked a few children ‘getting to know you’ questions. Most of the girls expressed that when they grow up they want to be hair braiders. So back to the visit with Debbie...I asked Kadidja (an excellent braider of hair) who is 8 years old to braid my hair. Disbelief filled her face, quickly followed by a bright smile after she realized I was serious. Below is a glimpse of what happened next. The outcome: I left with my hair unbraided. I didn’t have rubber bands and my hair is too much like a white person's hair. But the attempt was a blast!



…Language Lane:
Today Hope and I had our first day of French lessons with a very good teacher. We will have 2 hour sessions in the morning Monday-Friday, along with practice throughout the day. Of course, Hope is way ahead and is patient in helping me (especially with pronunciation). We are on our way down the unknown lane of language.

This walk has been fairly short in comparison to all the ground I’d like to cover with you. If I had to pick one statement about God that has been displayed this past month, it’d be this; He is faithful.
I’m loving it here, but missing yall!

2 comments:

NIGER1.COM said...

Niger news
http://www.niger1.com

20-something said...

oh krystal!

i love how you express yourself in words. you're great and i'm prayin for ya daily..