Thursday, October 23, 2008

From His Hands to Theirs

The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. (Psalm 145:13b-16)

Glance outside of these walls, and one will see the city of poverty inhabited by most people. Explore beyond this city and one will find little but impoverished people saturating the land with their needs. With the medical team a few weeks ago, my eyes saw needs that my ears had only heard about, my mind could not fully grasp and my heart could not understand. Nigeriens, with the chance to bring forth their physical needs, waited for hours (some the whole day) to be seen by the medical team. For days doctors, nurses, translators and other volunteers were the hands of God, satisfying the needs of His created children.

Thankfully medications were donated and a pharmacy was set up at the clinic. Although I ran around taking pictures, attempting to explain medications to patients in French (with the help of translators), and praying for people, most of my time was spent in the pharmacy preparing medication for the patients. Complaints of easily treatable ailments would not constitute for a doctors visit in the U.S, however the Nigeriens sought the care and wisdom of those sent to help them. More serious cases of malaria, dehydration, worms, boils, and other diseases of the skin were seen and appropriately treated.

Two days in a row the team traveled to a village about one hour away and set up a clinic. Hundreds of people gathered to see a doctor. The team leader asked if I’d continue giving worm treatments (one chewable tablet) to the waiting women. With each transfer, I looked directly into their eyes, praying that they’d know the Savior and their bodies would be well. For me, it’s easy to look at the multitude of people and have compassion but not necessarily see the crowd as individual lives, however when I distributed the worm treatments, there was no way to escape the truth of each life’s importance. Then I had to trust the Lord, who knows each need, to intervene.

Donors from the U.S also blessed the people here with the purchase of a peanut butter based nutrition supplement called Plumpy’Nut. It was distributed to malnourished children at the clinics. Since it is inexpensive, effective in rehabilitating children’s health by providing necessary nutrients, and accessible, I will be distributing it in different villages, after assessing the needs. There will be opportunities to donate to this project in the near future. I hope that it will be an ongoing project to help malnourished children in their critical years of growth. I pray that donors away from the field and my hands on the field will represent and display God’s provision for each person whom he loves.

All that happened during this medical mission can’t be summarized accurately, but as my first experience working with a medical team, I am thankful for all those who sacrificed time and money to serve the people of Niger. I was blessed not only by their acts of love, but the time spent with them personally. Below is a picture of me and my other mom Debbie who was part of the medical team:)

We said our goodbyes to the medical team and welcomed the newest missionary Daniel. He is also the newest member of our French class which is going well, although our 2 hours a day sessions have turned into 4 hours a day, with an increase in homework:) Needless to say, I’ve been tired, but learning the language is worth feeling like my head is going to explode!

All of us AG missionaries took a few days off and went to Gao, Mali to rest, hang out and see the beauty of the land. I didn’t have plans to travel to other countries while in Niger, but the opportunity arose and I sure enjoyed it. We were even able to visit the pastor and his family and partake in a delicious African meal provided by them. We visited an archaeological dig, the tomb of Askia, the Prime Meridian, and after a relaxing canoe ride, we ventured on the pink sand dunes! The exploration of the sand dunes was my favorite. I think heaven will be similar to its landscape. Within hours, the sight of poverty and decay was replaced with beauty and life. Oh the contrast. Woven in all is our loving Father.
In two weeks another mission team will arrive in Niger for a week and two months will pass before another team comes. Having people visit rekindles the ‘newness’ of the people and environment that can be dulled, even after only a few months of living here.

It’s difficult to unravel the sovereignty of God and suffering. I don’t claim to understand but I am confident that Jesus loves the people in this impoverished state and he will meet their needs. I meant to tell you that the night the medical team arrived (September 25th), Amina who is our house helper had her baby! Her name is Esther. Hope, Dave and I walked to the clinic to see the family fifteen minutes after her birth. Again, MERCI (thank you) for your support! Don’t forget to check out my ‘photos’ link to the right.

No comments: