Friday, November 14, 2008

Filling up on Plumpy'Nut
Last Thursday the vision casting team arrived in Niger. With them arrived a baby scale, a toddler/adult scale and many hands to help. What else do we need? Plumpy'Nut and malnourished children! The Plumpy'Nut was purchased here, thanks to donors in the United States. Children are never a problem to find in Niger.
Without much time to adjust, the following morning the team accompanied us on the hour car ride to the village of Gueladio. There, greeted by many women and children, we proceeded to set up our “clinic” in the church to see an estimated amount of 50 children. We established three stations and assigned team members and missionaries to each of them. I was right in the middle...

Pray 'em up:

Upon entry into the church, the children and mothers were prayed for by a group of team members. Even though I was at the measuring station, I found myself gazing at this group because I realized the eternal importance of each word spoken.


Measure 'em up:

After investing spiritually into these lives, the next group welcomed each child to the weighing station. There, using the donated scales and tape to measure weight and height, the need for Plumpy'Nut was determined, as well as the amount to distribute. Since Plumpy'Nut is very concentrated, children must be severely malnourished to receive rations.


Fill 'em up:

Lastly, the children and mothers were directed to the distribution group, where they received a two week supply of Plumpy'Nut if eligible, or children's multivitamins if they were classified as mildly malnourished. This station also counseled the mothers on how to properly use the product.


What a team effort the day with Plumpy'Nut was! This was the first of many distributions to come. I am very thankful for the help, support and love this vision casting team provided. I know God blessed each team member for their service but he also blessed me as I watched them.

Our missionary team in Niger will return to Gueladio in one week to reweigh and remeasure the children to see improvements. If consuming the Plumpy'Nut properly, we should see an increase in weight and will distribute another two week supply to the child. If not, we have to assume the child was not given the supplement appropriately and therefore the child will not receive another two week supply. If this happens, it will break my heart but I am required to follow protocol with these concentrated packets of peanut butter, vitamins, minerals, powdered milk, powdered sugar and vegetable oil.

These simple ingredients save children's lives! Also Plumpy'Nut is inexpensive, only costing 50 cents per packet. If you'd like to contribute to the Plumpy'Nut/Nutrition Project, you can do so through The LINK, making your donations tax deductible. Please contact them at contact@linkniger.com.

Please pray for open doors in villages to distribute Plumpy'Nut, funds to be able to do so, wisdom in treating the children, and for these children to be healed!

While the vision casting team was here, God blessed Nigeriens, missionaries and team members. He is excellent at making each person feel special. He brings people here for different reasons and each experience is unique. With each team, He brings love through more hugs, smiles and new eyes.
“The Lord is my shepherd. I have everything I need.” Psalm 23:1

Check out this 60 Minutes video about Plumpy'Nut below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/19/60minutes/main3386661.shtml

3 comments:

melissa ellen parker said...

I watched that video about Plump Nut when it came on originally - Chris and I thought it was soooo great!

You really inspire me to do a mission trip someday. I think it would really be wonderful to help in even the smallest way.

You rock girl - hope you keep on bloggin - I am so intrigued by all that you are doing!!!

love those pics too. wish i could just hug that little baby!!

Stephanie Searles said...

Yay PlumpyNut! I remember that original episode also! Wasn't it just after we came back from Niger? Well, I hope all is well over there - it certainly looks wonderful. I'm so close to getting my degree! Then I'll be able to go back on a Medical Mission (and I will, too!)

We'll open our clinic someday ;)

NIGER1.COM said...

www.niger1.com