Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Worth the Costs

Happy New Year!

When exactly was my heart so grounded to a village by the name of Gueladio? Going there twice a month since October for church and plumpy’nut distribution perhaps is one culprit for the love growth I’ve recognized. Perhaps it’s the love of Christ that so compels.

The malnourished children in that village have gained more than weight. With each prayer, they’ve gained the truth of God as well as love as we become His hands and feet. Forecasting another two distributions in Gueladio, I know this privilege of seeing the preservation of life firsthand will continue in another village. But will the next village ever reach such depth of my heart? With every pound of weight gained by these babies, at least a ton of love has been deposited in me.

Pastor Lawali and his wife Ruth are included in the “ton of love” that has been added to my heart. Last week when we were distributing plumpy’nut, we witnessed the painful separation of father and daughter due to the Lord’s work. Ruth’s father and sister were visiting but had to return to their home 13 hours from hers. After a passionate and tear filled prayer, her father and sister rode with us back to the capital city. Hearing, watching and feeling the pain in their voices and eyes, the reality of sacrifice, even while residing in the same country, that is required when following Jesus was felt by all. The Lord called Lawali and Ruth to this village and I can’t imagine Gueladio without them, much less all those they’ve ministered to within. Yet it’s costly.

Driving back to our home, staring out into the sandy horizon, inwardly I was challenged by these questions:

-what sacrifices have you made?
-what sacrifices are you making right now?
-what sacrifices will be made as you obey the Lord in the future?

Remember the Lord wants our obedience, not sacrifice.

However, as I listed some sacrifices (not huge compared to many others) I’ve made in the past and currently, punches of unrest came while contemplating the third question. I’m not sure what the future will entail regarding this. The restless feeling settles as I trust in Him. Sometimes its easier to play it safe, in the security of what I think is ‘the known.’ How deceiving it is think that way. In retrospect, the most uncertain paths in my life thus far have unraveled and exploded into the most tangible and certain roads that I wouldn’t trade traveling down. God has made this concept a theme the last couple of weeks for us members of the Johansson household…

“Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.” –Psalm 126

Much joy-Last Saturday I accompanied missionary Shelley and other missionary associates to Gueladio for their annual kids program. Upon arrival, I was asked to help Ruth with preparing lunch for about 150 children. I was delighted by the request but had no idea I’d enjoy spending time with her and other women from the village as I did. I began with cutting onions and tomatoes African style…with no cutting board. Technically, our hands were the cutting boards. Incase a cutting board is not available, chopped onions can still be consumed! While cooking, Ruth and I connected in a new way since usually when I distribute plumpy’nut, conversations of personal topics aren’t priority. We talked about our families, about our dreams, our struggles and God’s faithfulness to answer, even in bizarre ways.

Cooking and sitting with a few women of the village, who only spoke Fulfulde, I began to attempt speaking a few words of their language such as “what is your name.” It helps that Ruth speaks English. Complemented with laughs at my mispronunciations, they kept repeating the words until I finally got it. By far, this sleepover in Gueladio is one of my favorite experiences here in Niger. This different, delicious taste of life in the village prompts me to indulge in it more often.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Krystal,

I love your updates!! Keep letting God do His work through you for those beautiful people in Niger!!

Mike