Monday, February 2, 2009

Fruit

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” –John 15:5

When 9 month old Nata Johansson cries for his momma (he’s a big momma’s boy) while in someone else’s arms, I think of an older tv show called Dinosaurs. The baby dinosaur yells “You not the momma” to others besides his mother. Silly as it sounds, it’s applicable and hilarious. I find myself saying that here in Niger when Nata cries. Is he thinking “you not the momma?” No counterfeit will do. Only Hope will suffice and she is known by her youngster. After all, she is the one who gives him nourishment.

Sometimes I think God is telling me, “you not the vine!”
I act like I’m the vine but I am a branch. There’s no way to be a vine. I can only remain IN the vine. I wonder who else attempts playing the vine’s role. Assuming the role of the vine only leads to defeat and failure. As a branch it is impossible to have life and be fruitful without our source of life, the true vine. So why am I not faithfully in the vine, as a branch? I can do nothing without the vine, Jesus. I can’t even distribute Plumpy’Nut to malnourished children without Him. Any fruit that I bear is because of the vine.

We went to Gueladio for Plumpy’Nut (PN) distribution on Sunday and after assessing 7 children, we left the village with gratitude. Guess how many packets of PN were distributed…Zero. None of the babies qualified for PN, therefore indicating that they are no longer severely malnourished! The six year old Saadou who I’ve mentioned before also did not receive PN on Sunday, but not because he’s healthy. He hasn’t been gaining weight for quite a while. We suspected worms and treated him accordingly but found out they aren’t the reason behind the malnourishment. Please keep praying for him.

There were some children who didn’t show up to the distribution but two weeks ago their assessments had improved tremendously. We gave children’s chewable vitamins to those who were old enough and will receive children's liquid vitamins tomorrow when the Impact mission team arrives! I will follow up with the children of Gueladio but am now consulting the Lord about which village we should distribute PN to next.

Finishing the PN distribution in Gueladio produced conflicting emotions. As I was saying goodbye to the mothers, children and the Pastor and his wife, I felt so thankful to the Lord for His provision, the privilege to work with these babies, for letting me live here in Niger, and most surprisingly, to see such beautiful fruit. Much fruit is produced from a seed, yet that sower is not guaranteed to see the fruit of his/her labor. The Lord has allowed me to see the fruition of others’ prayers, sacrifices and work that has made PN distribution and improvements in babies’ lives possible, but he also has let me taste the fruit produced only by remaining in Him. Because of the relationships made through the PN distribution, emotions of gratitude and joy were mixed with sadness, knowing that I wouldn’t be seeing these people every two weeks. But mostly, I’m thankful. His glory is displayed. Below is a picture of the Pastor in Gueladio with his wife and daughter.

Severely malnourished babies are healthier. Many blessings were prayed over the babies and their families by us here and those in the United States. Thank you for doing so.

May we bear lasting fruit.
Look what the Lord has done.
See what He will do…

No comments: