Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Full of Life

Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
-John 10:10

I admit that since I said yes to Jesus’ invitation of salvation at the age of ten, there have been many times and seasons in my life where I have chosen other things besides the overflowing life He has purposed for me. As the source of life, He came with good intentions to give life, carried out through His death.

Blessed by the Impact Niamey mission team, I had revelation concerning the importance of Jesus’ purpose statement above. The team of over 30 people who differed in talents and roles as much as they did in ages and looks, chose the abundant life, Jesus for themselves and had intentions to offer the life source to poverty stricken, diseased uneducated and sin committing Nigeriens. Whether one resides in America, the land of plenty or in Niger, the land of little, every person has the need for life in Christ.
The focus of this mission was evangelism throughout the capital city. While much service, worship, prayer and building of relationships was accomplished, the most important aspect was the commitment to accept and follow Jesus. One day as we split into small groups to evangelize in the village of Zarmagandey, our group witnessed the choice of life as seven people heard about Jesus for the first time and took the initial step in following Him. The other groups experienced similar responses from thirsty people wanting to drink from the fountain of living water. My eyes filled with tears and my heart with gratitude and praise as we prayed with this young girl to know Jesus.

How full of life I was at that moment and those following. Little did I know that six more people would follow the first. Our Savior did not come to condemn but to save us, to give us life in Him. Life is not found in another.
As I ponder what my treasure is, where my heart’s focus is, where I’m choosing anything less than His life, I also think about how my decisions teach those seeking life around me.

The day before the team left, the Lord spoke to me about the verse below. The day after the team left, abundant life was confirmed.

“…but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength…” –Isaiah 40:31

The Lord has done great things.
My strength is renewed.
The joy of the Lord is my strength.
His joy in me is renewed.

What I thought impossible, God has accomplished. He healed my heart to trust and love again, despite my vows not to. He has shown me again his desire and ability to redeem and restore. Life has conquered death. My friend Jesus brought me all the way to Niger to ignite healing in my heart almost 3 years ago and today I am whole in Him and engaged to Jason Carter! It happened in Niger, much to my surprise. God is so intimate and faithful!

Don’t worry, I’m not leaving Niger just yet! This Friday we are going to assess and evaluate malnourished children in a different village called Koira Tegui (the village where the orphanage is located). If the children are severely malnourished, Koira Tegui will be the next Plumpy’Nut distribution site. Please pray for other potential neighborhoods within Niamey, as well for the babies in the previous village, Gueladio. May we choose the overflowing life in Christ, step by step. Merci!

No comments: